Sunday, January 31, 2010

stuffed mushrooms a la... whatever's in your fridge

So, being single and not having other people to cook for, I generally have an issue with buying produce and then it going bad on me before I can use all of it. I'm really trying not to waste food (and money for that matter) so I've had to be a little creative when it comes to using the last bit of my perishables.

I created a decent recipe for some stuffed mushrooms made with a few things I just had in my kitchen:
mushrooms (of course)
deli turkey
red bell pepper
cream cheese
italian bread crumbs


I pulled the stems out of six medium to small mushrooms after wiping the dirt off, rolled the caps in olive oil and set them on a foil lined baking sheet. I then minced the stems and the bell pepper, and chopped up the turkey. I combined all that with the softened cream cheese, and stuffed the caps. Notice there are no measurements. Just make sure there's enough cream cheese so that the mix isn't too dry or crumbly. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and into the oven they go at a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit, for about 15-17 minutes.


As you can see from the photo I snapped just before devouring them, they turned out pretty well. It just goes to show, you don't have to be a master chef, or have a recipe in front of you to create something tasty-- just a little creativity and imagination.

An added note: I had more filling than mushroom space, so I just saved it and am eating it today, uncooked with flavored crackers. You could also top the crackers beforehand and broil them in the toaster oven for a few minutes to make a hot snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment