I am not sure if I was lame enough to have a New Year's Resolution last year but, I decided... the motivation was well worth it, even if it lasts only two days. So, I compiled a list of small but meaningful resolutions to make 2009 a little better.
1) I want everything I purchase to be locally grown, made, packaged, everything. No more "Made in China". This, I think by far, will be the hardest resolution to keep while in the United States. Maybe not so hard to keep while in Europe though.
2) Everything I purchase that is packaged or contained must have recyclable packaging or a recyclable container. I will try my best to buy things with minimal or no packaging. I've already started by switching to bar soap rather than liquid soap in a bottle. :D I've found some really good stuff too!
3) I have to get a better handle on my finances. I will start using quicken religiously to budget my money, if it kills me. I have a habit of letting those $1-$5 dollar items rack up quickly and before I know it... there goes $100 bucks in a week! It's gotta stop.
4) In relation to number three, I think it would be smart of me to second guess every purchase I make... and decide if I really need it, or if I just want it. I'm going to start making special days for treats like coffee or dinner out, to limit how often I spend on these items.
5) I want to try to keep a real blog and update it regularly. I know my life isn't that terribly interesting, but I think it would be incredibly awesome to have that as a time capsule for me in 50 years or something ridiculous like that.
6) I want to be nicer to people I don't know or already don't like. I don't really know why I feel like I should want to attempt this, but... it's worth a shot. We're all just trying to make our way and maybe a smile makes a bigger difference than we think. I read a research article on it in fact.
7) I want to stay in better touch with all my family... immediate and extended. I'm really bad at this right now. I've started by booking a flight out to Arizona to see my grandparents before I go to Praha.
That's about all I can think of right now unfortunately, but I think those seven items are a tall order to fill as it is so... we will see!
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's not a small list. It's an epically awesome one.
ReplyDeleteLemme know how that not-buying-anything-from-China goes. Just yesterday I had this conversation with my husband. We think it's impossible. I'd be happy if you can prove me wrong, though!!